GROUND TURKEY STUFFED PEPPERS
GLUTEN-FREE | DAIRY-FREE Awhile back, I was looking on my favorite recipe finder, Pinterest, and found several different recipes of stuffed peppers that I decided to create my own. Stuffed peppers are really unique because you can cater them to taste exactly how you want them to! I recommend using your favorite meat and cheese that you feel would be best with this dish, my personal favorite recipe for peppers is listed below. This recipe specifically cooks for 3 servings.
- 3 colored bell peppers
- 1 cup of rice, cooked
- 1/2 Lb of ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup of dairy-free shredded cheese (more is always okay)
- 1/2 tbs olive oil INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook rice + set aside.
3. Cut tops off of the peppers, make sure seeds are completely cut out + rinse.
4. In a large pot or pan, boil peppers till tender (about 5 minutes, rotate them in the water so the entire pepper is somewhat emerged in the water). Once peppers are complete, place upside down on a towel to dry out while making the mixture.
5. In a large skillet, add olive oil and garlic. Let them sit until fragrant, then add onions. Cook for about 2 minutes.
6. Add in turkey and cook until brown. Make sure to mash it up into small bits to make for the most in your stuffed pepper. Season to taste and stir throughout.
7. Once meat is fully cooked, add rice, salt, pepper, seasoning and 1/2 of the cheese until blended.
8. In a baking dish, fill peppers evenly with the blended mixture.
9. Cook peppers in the over uncovered for 25-27 minutes then take out. Add the rest of the cheese, and more if need be to the tops of the peppers. Place back in over for 5 more minutes, then serve!
I don't have a specific brand of rice that I use, it's usually just whichever one is stored in my pantry at the time. If you want less of a mess, as this meal does require several dishes, instant rice works for this recipe as well. Even though rice doesn't contain many ingredients, I still steer towards the brands that are certified gluten free just to be safe.
My favorite part, the cheese! As sad as I was having to go dairy-free, I made it my goal to find the best dairy-free cheese options. For this recipe, you want a cheese that melts easier than most. A common downfall of dairy-free cheese is that it doesn't melt well. The best dairy-free shredded cheese brand I have found for this recipe is the Simple Truth Non-Dairy Cheddar Style Shreds. I have heard negative reviews about Daiya cheeses, while I actually enjoy Daiya cheese, it does not melt very well and would not be suitable with this recipe.
Please, I would love to know if anyone has any good cheese recommendations! Please send them to me! I am always looking to try out a new one in hopes to find something as similar as I can to regular cheese.
Thank you for your time friends :)